Déjà vu

     This Friday will be the 6 year anniversary of arguably the worst day of my life. On 1/7/2005 my day started pretty much like every work day up to that point. Up at 7am, out the door in time to stop for fast food breakfast (McDonald’s on this particular day) and arrive at work in time to unlock the pharmacy & sign on to the system by 8am. But before I even had a chance to tear into my steak, egg, and cheese bagel that morning I was summoned to the manager’s office. From there the story gets long and involved, but suffice it to say I lost my job, my license, and my freedom that day. I have replayed that morning in my head hundreds if not thousands of times since then, and it is never a fond reflection.

      So today when I walked into the pharmacy and felt all the eyes following me I could not help but feel a sense of Déjà vu. Then when I got to my desk I was greeted with a note taped to my monitor saying “Dave- do not do anything today, see Monika.” This sent my stomach into cart wheels & my anxiety level through the roof, and I felt a bit faint as I searched for Monika to see what was up. Not having any luck in tat search I headed back to my desk only to be told that the pharmacy director is looking for me & I need to go sit in his office & wait for him. As I sat down I felt like a kid in the principals office about to be punished for some misdeed. Compounding the mind fuck I was experiencing was the seemingly hundreds of eyes watching me through the glass walls of his office. Just a casual glance over my shoulder would cause any gawker who’s eyes met mine to look away in that “what, I wasn’t looking at you…” fashion. Then out of the blue my bladder decided it had to be emptied immediately. I tried to adjust my sitting position, but this only seemed to increase the pressure on the ole fire hose. At just the moment I stood to make a quick run to the pisser, the boss walked in & with a quick “have a seat” he shut the door and sauntered over to his throne(not really a throne, but it is an extremely large chair that looks way more comfortable than the ones us grunts are given). After the obligatory uncomfortable moment of dead silence he casually announced that the position I held was no longer available. As a matter of fact the entire department that I work in has been sold to another company, and effective immediately I am to discontinue any actions pertaining to the respiratory pharmacy. As you can imagine the need to piss seemed to vanish immediately as the tightening in my chest seemed to be indicating an impending heart attack or at the very least a panic/anxiety/fear attack. In the next period of silence I remember thinking about my how hard things were just about to get for me and my family. I am guessing it was at that moment that he realized he should tell me that even though the respiratory department is no longer in operation, and all positions in that department have been vacated, that I should not worry about it. In my head I wanted to say “fuck you, easy enough for you to say since you still have a job,” but thankfully before that thought could be processed & sent to my mouth he told me that they will be transitioning me onto the regular pharmacy team, and I will still be a full time pharmacist for the company. He repeatedly stated that he made it clear to all involved that I will not be losing any hours from my schedule. He said, as a matter of fact, the pharmacy has done so well in the last 6 months, which they may need to add more staff to keep up. Knowing that this field is very volatile, his reassurances did not 100% resolve my current emotional crisis. But I would say that because of my history with this company, I am about 92.8% certain that I will be employed for the foreseeable future. Even later in the day the executive director sat next to me at the lunch table & started talking about how they will be utilizing me in the pharmacy more, and I can rest assured that my income will not be effected by the company changes. Even as he got up to leave he offered pat on the shoulder that said, “don’t worry, you’ve earned your spot here.”
     My day has been a busy one, getting all the accounts ready for transfer to the new company who will be taking them over. Some of my patients I have talked extensively with & even though I have never met them I still feel like I know them. It’s kinda like having a friend move away & knowing that you will never keep in touch after today. I am sure it won’t be long before new patients have taken their places, and I will have a whole new world of stories to listen to. I can only hope that I never have to experience being called into the office like that again… I am not sure my heart or my bladder can take it…

No comments:

Post a Comment