Cum On Feel The Noize

The cramped confines of Ruth Eckerd Hall, the fat lady to my right spilling over into my seat who complained of too many homosexual undertones in the show, nor the excessively long lines at the drink counters were enough to detract from the awesomeness that was “Rock of Ages.” From start to finish the high energy of the show carries you through the love story of the 2 main characters. There was so much going on all over the stage that I believe it would be hard to catch everything without seeing the show at least 2 or 3 times. A couple of the songs I did not recognize, but most of them have childhood memories attached to them, some that will go to my grave with me. All of the singers had fantastic voices, and the over the top personalities of the characters in the show kept me laughing & smiling from beginning to end. From the big hair & torn leotards, to the numb chucks and oversized cell phones, it seemed like they stepped back into my junior year of high school & collected all of their ideas & props. This was one of the best shows I have been to, and definitely think I would see it again if the chance arises. My two sons were on opposite sides of the fence when asked if they had a good time. My oldest had a blast, and I think he understood just enough of the adult humor that he felt a little grown up. My youngest on the other hand was awake for the whole show, clapped on queue, and  smiled on occasion, but said he was ready to go by the end of the first act. Both of whom managed to sit between me and my lovely wife throughout the whole show, leaving us until the ride home before we got a chance to talk about the show. There were several times throughout the night that I leaned over to point something out to her only to realize she was 2 seats away, and yelling would be rude & unproductive. Since what I had to share would have been lost on my kids, I just returned to watching the stage…. As far as dates go, it could have been better, at least for me. Nothing would have been better having my mind whisked back to my youth than to have had the opportunity utilize the ole yawn, stretch, arm around my girl move. Maybe get her to forget about Becky and stolen love long lost.But regardless, the 2+ hours that the show ran allowed me to forget about the stress of work, the anxiety of mounting bills, and even the fucking IRS for awhile, and just enjoy the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment